Thursday, February 17, 2005

Bandwagons

I still have a few hours left as a foolish 25 year old that follows trends. So, until I'm a year older and wiser..............

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
I use Mark’s computer so I don’t really know the answer or care to. But tomorrow is my birthday and I plan to by myself an Ipod, so soon I will be being lots of attention to music files!

The CD you last bought?
The last CDs I bought were stolen and are probably swirling on a CD player somewhere in Mexico right now. They were a Rachmaninoff CD, a Mendhelson CD, and two Shostakovtich CDs supposed to be Christmas gifts for Mark and help us peel ourselves away from our everyday listening habits. We remain glued to them.

What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?

I’m going to cheat and answer this question with the song I was listening to when I read it. It’s a song on a luxuriously long and good mix I got for my birthday last year. I don’t know the name of the song and who sings it, and if anyone recognizes it from the following poorly written, inadequate description, they will earn my eternal admiration and thanks.

The singer sounds kind of Euro and kind of Emo (Eurmo?), like he speaks another language but comes from a country that likes its pop in English. He says “juiced to” for “used to”. The chorus is: “As long as you’re here there’s something to die for, my love. As long as you’re near, there something to cry for, my love,” and a droney keyboard plays long, elegiac organ-style notes in a few alternating octaves.

Any bells ringing for ya? If not, believe me that despite what you have just read it is actually a pretty good song.

Once, a boy that I was in love with and who knew me very, very well gave me a gift of a tape of obscure songs by obscure bands that he was sure I wouldn’t stumble upon unless I spent a great deal more time bumping into things in record stores. He called it the “Torture Tape” and accompanied it with a note describing my two options: I could listen to it, enjoy it, and be tortured by it, or I could not listen to it, not enjoy it, and not be tortured by knowing that he knew something that I didn’t. It was condescending, intimate, knowing, sweet and mean, like a material version of our relationship, and of course I listened to it and suffered with pleasure. Over time our friendship deteriorated and then detonated, and I derived great satisfaction whenever a snatch of song drifted through a car radio or a dorm stereo and I pinned a name and a band to something from the tape.

Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
Why do I hate this question?

I don’t listen to these songs that often (almost never for number 2) but they still do all those things that certain songs can do.

--Bull in the Heather (Sonic Youth)
--Life by the Drop (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
--I’m on Fire (Bruce Springsteen)
--Marquee Moon (Television)
--Car (Built to Spill)

Who are you going to pass this to (3 people) and why?
I second Amy. I’ll send it by request.